Sunday, February 19, 2012

Too many lemons

I enjoy lemons, especially in baked goods. When I was young, my mother used to make lemon squares for a lot of get-togethers, and I always got to help squeeze the lemons. It's become one of my go-to recipes as well. For the holidays, I made a large batch of lemon squares and some shortbread for my coworkers:

I bought about two bags of lemons to make those, since each batch of lemon curd uses 4-6 lemons. Almost every other citrus recipe I've come across calls for two lemons at most, so you can imagine how flavorful these treats are.

In January, I came back to San Diego with a bag of lemons from my uncle's tree, only to find that my roommate had also brought some back from her family's tree. Too many lemons! I finally got around to making another batch of lemon curd this weekend, and was fortunate enough to come across a recipe that would work perfectly with it.

Lemon curd-filled almond muffins

Make a batch of easy lemon curd. This method is pretty easy and creates a very smooth, delicious curd. If you like your desserts tart, up the lemon juice a little and reduce the amount of sugar. Refrigerate the curd overnight to let it thicken.

Follow this recipe for almond dulce de leche muffins, omitting the cinnamon and substituting lemon curd for the dulce de leche. I modified the ingredients a bit further by using half whole-wheat flour and regular sugar.

Enjoy! I'll be eating these for breakfast all week!

No comments: